Skip to content
Support Us

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

The Frontier Airlines plane that Amber Vinson flew from Cleveland to Dallas on Monday, flies out of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport AP/Press Association Images

Nurse with Ebola given permission to fly but officials now looking for 132 passengers

The officials now admit she should not have been allowed to take the flight.

HEALTH OFFICIALS IN America have warned that more cases of Ebola are possible in the coming days.

Two health workers became infected while caring for a Liberian patient, Thomas Eric Duncan, at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas.

It’s now emerged that the second nurse boarded a flight in the US despite suffering from a fever.

She told health officials in the U.S. that she was running a temperature.

They have now admitted that she should not have been allowed to fly, after she complained of the fever.

Thomas Frieden, the head of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said:

The second woman should not have boarded a domestic flight in the days before she was diagnosed, though there was an “extremely low likelihood” that she could have infected fellow travelers.

“She was in a group of individuals known to have exposure to Ebola. She should not have traveled on a commercial airline,” Frieden told reporters.

CDC guidelines outline the need for “controlled movement,” and that does not include taking any kind of public transportation, he said.

He also noted that the woman was self-monitoring for signs of Ebola symptoms, and that she found her temperature to be 99.5 Fahrenheit – short of the 100.4 fever threshold that would have required her to seek medical care given her recent exposure to an Ebola patient – but that her colleague’s diagnosis was not yet known when she boarded the plane.

“At that point it was not yet known that there had been exposures in the care of the patient,” Frieden said.

The second health care worker had flown on Frontier Air from Dallas/Fort Worth to Cleveland Ohio, on October 10 and returned on October 13.

She discovered she had a fever on Tuesday and was immediately isolated in a hospital. Her diagnosis was announced yesterday.

She did not vomit. She was not bleeding. So the level of risk of people around her would be extremely low, but because of that extra margin of safety we will be contacting them all.

Seeking 132 travelers 

The CDC is seeking to interview 132 people who took the same Frontier Airlines flight as the woman on October 13 from Ohio to Texas.

Frieden said she was currently “ill but clinically stable” and that she was being transferred to Emory University hospital in Atlanta for treatment.

Emory said in a statement that the woman would be treated in the same isolation unit as another unidentified patient still there – reportedly a doctor who was evacuated from Sierra Leone last month.

The first person to be infected with Ebola in the United States, Nina Pham, is a nurse at the same hospital who also became ill after treating Duncan, who died of the virus on October 8.

Both had extensive contact with Duncan from September 28 until September 30, when he was diagnosed with Ebola. He was vomiting and had diarrhea during that time, Frieden said.

The assessment of the team is that in those first several days in the hospital, a variety of forms of personal protective equipment were used.

“It is critical that be done consistently and correctly.”

The gear includes a mask, gown, gloves and face shield.

Frieden described the latest case as “very concerning” and said officials were preparing for more.

“The investigation is identifying additional healthcare workers who will be very closely monitored and we are planning for the possibility of additional cases in the coming days.”

Read: Is Ireland prepared to deal with Ebola? Doctors aren’t convinced>

Author
View 55 comments
Close
55 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Trevor Beale
    Favourite Trevor Beale
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 6:45 AM

    They’d want to start by sorting out these water charges. Should be top of their agenda.

    51
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Roscom-Man
    Favourite Roscom-Man
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 6:36 AM

    I hope they are well rested after their break. What an absolute pack of wasters. Joan Burton has been offered a position as a forwards coach on the Irish ladies Rugby team. A very accomplished No.8 in her day

    34
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Ian McG
    Favourite Ian McG
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 7:38 AM

    Kenny can’t even manage a smile properly! What a nonsense photo though with them all trying to look hip

    30
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute KentuckyWindage
    Favourite KentuckyWindage
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 6:53 AM

    Who took this awful photo?
    My beloved Joan’s features are all blurred. The twinkle in her eye may be dimmed in this photo, but nothing can change the warmth of her heart.

    29
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Firas
    Favourite Firas
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 9:16 AM

    LMFAO – Well done sir! Gave me a chuckle.

    7
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Ian O'Donovan
    Favourite Ian O'Donovan
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 7:59 AM

    Forgot they were away..

    25
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Chris Mackey
    Favourite Chris Mackey
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 9:22 AM

    What do you mean they were but they are all ways away whats new. What we should be saying is Oh they are back

    4
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Martin Coyle
    Favourite Martin Coyle
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 8:16 AM

    God bless them all they look shattered, maybe we should give them a permanent rest.

    25
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute John Farrant
    Favourite John Farrant
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 8:40 AM

    Maybe they will do nothing until the next concert comes along then they will be galvanised into action and be willing to change the law overnight to make Ireland a better place. I agree with one of the previous comments. They sould have been rested permanently.

    13
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Gambon
    Favourite Gambon
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 7:09 AM

    CAN I JUST SAY …… We are back !!

    12
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds